Sharing Gmail Contacts with other fellow users or anyone from your organization has become a basic need. For this, you need to be aware of the procedure you need to follow to share contacts with the other groups.
You can share your Google Contacts with other G-mail users directly provided they are also using the same domain. Also, apart from using G-mail, they must have installed the other application from Google as well on their phones/computers. If you need cross domain sharing then you will have to use third party tool like Share Email Contacts or Shared Contacts for Gmail.
Reasons to share Google Contacts
The need to share Google Contacts came up in the first place owing to several reasons. A few of them are listed below.
To provide authorization to assistant the access to the Google Contacts so that he can send out emails to the board members of the company in case a meeting has been scheduled.
In case, one of your Gmail ID has the Google Contacts for your usage and you wish to access the Google Contacts of your other Google ID for official purposes, then you must be aware of the procedure behind the sharing of Google Contacts.
If there is one particular Gmail ID for which everyone in the team has the login credentials and you want to login to the system, then you can share the Google Contacts to this particular ID.
These shared contacts appear on the Delegated Contacts list on the screen of Google Contacts of the user on the other end.
How to use the Delegate feature in your Google?
You need to use the Delegate feature in the Google Contacts by following the steps mentioned below.
One should open the Google Contacts application.
Near the Add People option, one can find the More pull-down option. When you click on it, you can find the Manage Delegate option. In the Add people box, you can type in the e-mail ID of people you wish to add to the Delegate list one by one. Otherwise, if you wish to share the contacts with a group of people, then you need to make use of the labels option.
Once the adding procedure is done, you need to click on the Save and share button.
How to view the shared Google contacts?
The user on the other side would have shared a list of contacts to the person on the other end, now the question is how to view the shared Google Contacts. The following is a step by step procedure as to how to view the shared Google Contacts.
- Open the Google Contacts application
- In the left side panel, you can find options like My Contacts, Delegated Contacts, etc.,
- When you click on Delegated Contacts, you can see the list of e-mail IDs of people who have delegated their google contacts to you.
- Once you click on that user’s name, you can enter their Google contacts and based on the permission you have been granted, you can only view, edit or even make use of the contacts in a better way.
Things one can do while sharing Google Contacts
These are some of the things you can do while sharing your Google Contacts.
- Anyone in the organization who is invited can access the contacts.
- One can avoid replication of the contacts across different mail IDs.
- Once you delete or do some editing in the contact list, it will get updated in the contact list of those who can access your Google Contacts.
Things one cannot do while sharing Google Contacts
These are some of the things which you can avoid doing while sharing Google Contacts as it only leads to major confusion.
- It is not possible to share the contacts outside your domain.
- The entire list of contacts will be shared with those who are delegated to the mailing list. So, there is no option of limiting Google Contacts on your phone.
- The e-mails from the shared contact group cannot be accessed by anyone on that particular mailing list.
- You can’t create a new contact and then add it to the delegate group.
- When you are searching for something, it appears on the search box of all the delegated users.
Things to keep in mind while sharing Google Contacts
These are some of the things you need to keep in mind while you are sharing the google contacts.
- The syncing of the contacts might take some time and you need to possess some patience for it.
- Once you click on the list of delegated contacts, it does take some time to load.
- While you share your Google contacts, the delegated users can make some changes to it. To avoid any deletion of important data, it is very much pertinent to look into the access and permission before sharing.
These are some of the details regarding sharing your Google contacts and there are some tips to keep in mind as well while sharing these contacts. As sharing has become a very important task, you need to be very careful from your side.
Our Tool ContactShareApp.com helps you share Gmail Contacts with other Gmail & G-Suite users.